Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Graduate School

I've been holding off writing anything about grad school in here, but I think it's time to talk about it. I was recently accepted to attend grad school in the fall at Purdue University. On top of that, I've also been given a teaching assistantship, which is awesome. I'll most likely be teaching a beginning photo class, or even possibly beginning design. I won't know until closer to the beginning of school. Of course I'll be taking classes as well. I'll still be focusing on photography and related media; the related media meaning video, website design, and such. I am VERY excited to say the least. I'm not sure if I'm more excited about simply being back in school, or about teaching. If I had to pick, it would probably be the teaching. Over the last couple of years, I've taken a major interest in being a college level professor, and this is just the first step. I've already started thinking about a curriculum and how I want to teach my class. It's going to be an interested experience.

The reason why I only bring this up now is the fact that, in case you don't know, I currently own a business with a friend of mine. I didn't want to make a decision about grad school until I was that the business was going one way or the other. So far, this business just isn't working for me. I'm making no money, not paying my bills, and barely eating. This is no way to live, but I've stuck through it, until now. I've gotten to the point where I just can't physically and mentally do it anymore. It's simply not my life's purpose to run this business. I see that now, and I only wish I had seen that a year ago. I know that I'll come out stronger and smarter because of this, but for now, I really just need to walk away.

I feel really bad about putting my business partner in this position, but there really isn't a choice anymore. He and I just don't see eye to eye on things. Plus, he is currently working a second job to try and make ends meet, and I'm stuck here, with not free time to go out and try and make a living. I AM working a second job, a really good one in fact. This other job would be a great job, if only I could work there more often. As it stands now, I work MAYBE once a week, not even making enough money to cover my increasingly late bills. I wish things could have turned out better here in Muncie, but they just didn't. It's time for me to move on, and I only hope I'm making the right decision.

No comments: