Thursday, May 26, 2005

Fate, Destiny, Or Whatever You Want To Call It

I don't generally consider myself someone to believe in something such as fate, but recent events have started to change my views of said topic. I think it's hard for me, being agnostic, to believe in such a concept. Fate is sort of a religious concept, and since I don't really follow anykind of religion, it's hard to justify such a thing. I don't really want to go into the "why" I am starting to think fate may exist, but at the same time, I'm trying to put what has happened into perspective.

How can trivial events turn out to be something you never would have guessed? I like looking at the movie Serendipity as an example. Two people, trying to buy that same pair of gloves, onyl to eventually end up together. It's the small, insigificant things that turn out to make life what it is. Half of the time, we are blind to what is happening around us. Have you ever looked into the events leading up to something important happening in your life? I recently did, and I'm amazied to find how someting so stupid as cat snot has led to something so important. Life is crazy!

It's kind of like Chaos Theory. A butterfly flaps it's wings in Central Park which in turn causes a massive tsunami to hit China. That's kind of what fate is like. It sets things in motion, whether to your benefit or not. And it's just not one event to leads to these things, but a long, unknowing series of events. It's kind of interesting to think about what the future holds for everyone. Say, for example, tomorrow I go out the front door instead of the back door. What will change in my life just because of something as simple as that? Or maybe instead of going home after work, I go to visit my mother. It's really strange to think that small events like this lead our course in life. That is, of course, if there really is something such as fate...

No comments: