Friday, May 12, 2006

Why I Became A Photographer

I was watching a show on PBS and I suddenly remembered why I wanted to be a photographer:

I wanted to travel.

It's always interesting to look back at your life and to see what decision got you to the place you are now. I wanted to travel the world, going to exotic locations, photographing things people had never seen before. I wanted to meet people and study cultures. I wanted to takes pictures that were romantic (and not in the love kind of way). I wanted to take pictures that made people see the world in a new light; the same way I want to see the world.

It's funny how I forgot all about that once I got into college. College changed me, made me someone I never really wanted to be. Not once in the last six years have I thought about this. I was too busy trying to take the photos and make the projects others wanted me to make. I stopped holding on to the "why."

I very much want to get in my car right now and head out into the world; out into nature. I had dreams of working for National Geographic and being sent all over the world on assignment. What happened to that dream?

Purdue killed it, that's what.

This is almost like a breath of fresh air. I'm remembering my passion, why I got into photography in the first place. It's great to feel this way again. I think I'm happy...

No comments: