Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Graduate Orientation: Day #2

Today was mainly just paper work and getting to know everyone in the department; nothing too important. After the meetings this morning, I met a couple of the grad students in printmaking. We went to lunch at Jakes and discussed a lot of things. Afterwards, Liz (one of the printmaking grads) and I walked over to the KL Art Gallery. Liz recently moved here from Michigan and doesn't really know the area too well. She has this crazy idea about setting up some sort of community art project. I think she's wishing a little too hard, because let's face it, there isn't much of an "art" community in Lafayette. It is getting better, so maybe there's a chance, but who knows...

I told her I'd help.

She wants to set up events where artists can show off their work, have bands playing, and a place where the people of the community can get together and have intelligent conversation. It's a great idea if she and I can get it to work. I think it's more of a pipe-dream, but maybe she has the motivation to really get it off the ground. The hardest part is coming up with the initial funding. Plus, she would like it to be a weekly thing. It's a cool idea, and I hope we can get something going.

It turns out that I have a teaching workshop on Thursday where I have to prepare a 7 minute lecture to give to my peers. I was unaware of this and I'm freaking out a little. An email went out about two weeks ago explaining it, but I must have missed it because today was the first time I have heard of it. I have to spend most of the day tomorrow trying to throw something together. I think what's bothering me more is the fact that I have to start preparing THREE HOUR lectures... starting next week. If I can't handle doing a 7 minute lecture in front of five people, how am I going to do a three hour lecture in front of 15 students?

Can you tell I'm a little nervous?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Liz is adorable:)
Good luck with the the whole community event planning...you know you should get in contact with Michael Oxenrider from Tipp-C...it might be something that you can write an article about or just advertise in his publication.