Friday, August 19, 2005

Orientation: Days 3 and 4

Days 3 was a campus wide teaching orientation. We were in the Class of 50 building for most of the morning, then we moved into smaller groups in the Krannert building. We did a lot of exercised about dealing with situations that might come up in the classroom. Nothing special and really boring

Days 4 (today) was pretty much the same thing, except we had to present a 7 minute lecture. I think I did alright; I know I could have done better. I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that I need to act like my students know nothing. I need to make sure I explain EVERYTHING to them, even little details that I think are pointless because they might not be to someone in my class.

After everything today, there was a department meeting for photography where we went over the syllabus and what is expected of the other TA's and I; pretty much the same stuff I heard back in May. They gave us a week by week schedule, so I won't be too lost when it comes to planning my classes. I'm the first instructor on Monday, so it's going to be interesting. I don't even have all my keys to the building yet and my office is empty.

The department needs to get their shit together...

Tomorrow is just a reception/meet and greet kind of thing. Afterwards, I'm getting together with the other photo TA to discuss the lesson plan and how we want to work together.

Monday isn't too far away, wish me luck...

No comments: