Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Major Flaw In Doom 3

While Doom 3 has been very enjoyable so far, I have come across one MAJOR flaw in the game, but I have to give you a little history lesson first. In the original Doom games, almost everyone who played the game, used cheat codes. IDDQD, IDFA, IDKFA, IDCLIP, and so on. These codes made the game extremely easy to beat. Well, Doom 3 has the same codes. I decided to play with the codes, just so I could mess around in some of the levels without fear of dying.

I did, and it was fun. The cheat codes aren't the problem because there is still challenge in trying to kill the various bad guys. But that was before I came across the chainsaw...

Not only does the chainsaw kill everything on instant contact, but it takes away all the skill. I just played an entire level, just running around with the chainsaw, with no codes, and it was easier then anything I had encountered before. This is a BIG problem. I can't figure out why the developers would put such a devastating weapon so early on in the game. Even without the cheat codes, the chainsaw itself makes the game painfully easy. I'm hoping that the enemies will be stronger the more I progress, because this could totally kill the experience for me. Now, I know you're thinking to yourself, "if it's really ruining the game that much, why don't you just NOT use the chainsaw?" Well, there are two reasons. The first one being that the chainsaw is just that cool. The combination of the sound of buzzing and the splatter of body parts make it irresistible to use. The second reason being that ammo for the other weapons in the game is just plan hard to find, so you're basically left with the chainsaw anyway. I'll say it again, this is a MAJOR flaw... More as it develops.

No comments: