Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Okay, Time To Write Something

It's funny how certain music, combined with the right kind of setting, can bring back feelings and emotions of old. As I sit here, I'm reminded of the comfort once accompanied by said music and setting. This has been happening a lot recently with the weather being the way it has. I'm reminded of the good days of my senior year in college. Sitting outside at Pete's, cheering on two strangers kissing nearby. It's those things I miss. Life was easy back then (funny thing is, it was only a year ago). I think I miss the comfort of knowing that my life was easy. Sure, exams, projects, term papers; that all sucked. But still, that kind of stuff is a lot easier then worrying about how you are going to pay your next student loan payment, or how you are going to afford food for the next week. College was great.

I've recently started working with a couple of girls at my other job. Nikki is a freshman at Ball State and Kendra is a Sophomore. It's refreshing to see them talk to each other about their lives and the problems they face everyday at school. I don't really know how to describe it, but, one the one hand, I feel like I could be these girl's mentor of sorts. I've lived through everything they're living right now and I want to encourage them enjoy college while it's still happening. But at the same time, I feel old talking with them for the same reasons. It's strange hearing them trying to figure how to deal with their problems, when they don't even know what living in the real world is like. I think I may have been spoiled by the college experience.

I got use to the easy life, and while I think I've made the "transition" to adulthood, I think I should have prepared myself better. I made some wrong choices right out of college. Instead of going with my gut, I tried to think too rationally about things (ex. thinking like an adult when I wasn't). I was trying to figure out my future when I hadn't even figured out my present. That is a common mistake I think people make right out of school. You think to yourself:

"Alright, school's over... time to get a job, buy a house, start a family, etc."

But really, you should be thinking to yourself:

"What do I need to DO to get to the point where I can start thinking about a career, a house, a family, etc."

I skipped that step.

I've learned a lot from my experience here in Muncie. I know it probably sounds cliche, but I grew up too fast. I had a plan, I just went a different route, and now I'm lost. If only I could find that damn map...

No comments: