Monday, July 18, 2005

Good Music Monday: Issue #6


This week's band comes from England, because let's face it, most good music is coming out of there right now.
  • Two years on and The Music have hit something of a roll. More precisely, a rollercoaster of a roll. In that time The Music have gone from the early promise of a young band gloriously finding their collective voice to being a global hit, complete with burgeoning fan base and an awesome reputation for live brilliance.
Their newest album, Welcome To the North, is well... great. I found out about this band simply by chance. While working at my store, this album came in. I had never heard of the band, so I looked them up, listen to the album, and enjoyed what I heard. Rolling Stone compares them to Led Zeppelin and U2. I don't hear it. I think I hear more Placebo and Bowie, just more upbeat. It's very NEW WAVE sounding, but updated. This could have existed in the 80's, but we get to enjoy it now. My favorite track on the new album is a toss up between "Freedom Fighters" and "I Need Love." I'd say "I Need Love" probably gets the nod; it's just has a better... tone, if that makes sense.

In the upcoming weeks, I'm going to do a more THOROUGH review of each of the bands. I'm still playing with the format, hope everyone is looking forward to it.



Previous Issues:
Diana Krall
Cary Brothers
Joydrop
Mr. T Experience
Medeski, Martin, and Wood

No comments: