Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I'm Rick James Bitch

Isn't that the most over used phrase ever?

I need to stop talking about "art" because ever time I do, I end up sounding like a fool. Tonight in the photo class I was talking about how making artwork specifically to sell it doesn't make you a "serious artist." Then someone brought up the idea of wedding photography and how it's the same thing as selling artwork. I call bullshit. I take wedding photos as a service that I am selling, it's not like I just show up at random weddings and take pictures. I have nothing against a painter being asked to paint something for a job, but when they start only making their "artwork" just to sell it an make money, the idea of art looses all meaning.

I always know what I mean, I don't always articulate it the best way. I will make a good point and then to try and back it up, I end up saying something that sounds contradictory, which then leads to people thinking I don't know what I'm talking about. It's a pain in the ass; I need to work on my speaking skills...

No comments: