Sunday, February 12, 2006

Photography - What I Really Want To Do

I know the kind of photographer I want to be, and it's not what I'm doing right now. I know exactly the kind of work I want to do, and I'm not doing it. I'm here in school, pretending to be someone that I'm not. I am not an artist, and yet, that's what I'm doing in school. It's not interesting enough for me, but photography is. I know that if I started focusing on what I actually wanted to do, I'd be kicked out of school in an instant. Cheryl already kicked one guy out of the grad photo class because she thought his work wasn't going to be "intellectual" enough. I stood up for the guy, but I guess she scared him away.

I do want to teach one day too, I know that much, but it's the time between now and then that I really want to do the kind of photographic work that I like. I try to do as much as I can in my free time, but it isn't always easy. Trying to find people who are interested enough to work with and then having all the proper equipment makes it difficult.

I am going to spend much more time focusing on what I like when I can. The teaching thing and the art thing are my day job, and I should take all the opportunities I can to further my enjoyment with photography before it becomes something I loath as well.

All I need to do is surround myself with others like me, and get away from this art school thing for a while...

No comments: