Saturday, February 25, 2006

It's 4 In the Morning

Crash. Bang.

I am awoken this morning by a loud, thunderous sound and a bright flash of light. At first I think it was nothing more then a nearby lightning strike. Little did I know that there was something going on right outside my front door.

A few minutes later, the sirens start. Obviously something has happened (oh yeah, the power is out too). I get out of bed and look out my front window and there is a cop car blocking off the street. Ok. Then I look to my right and notice that power poll in my front yard has been busted into three parts. Ok. I look a little further more, and there is a car, upside down and in pieces... just outside my building.

More police and firefighters arrive along with ambulances, only to leave a few minutes later. I'm afraid to say, but I believe this is a case of DOA. It's been about an hour since the accident, and the only remaining people are the police, putting up caution tape and blocking off the road. The power is still out, and the car is still laying there in my front yard. It looks as though the car hit the power poll and I can only assume that, being for late on a Friday night, that this is the result of tiredness and/or drunkenness. Crowds gather outside after hearing what was going on, and I, being the photographer that I am, grabbed my camera.

It was a little difficult at first, being extremely low light situation and my angle of few wasn't great. I went out side to get a better shot, but the police have my building taped off, so I couldn't really get a better shot then was I was already doing. I will have pictures posted later.

The crime scene photographer has just shown up and is using a flash, something I should have done, but I didn't really feel like pissing the police off. The car remains, and it may be there for a while longer. My power is still out, and I guessing by seeing the damage first hand, power may not be restored for a good while. In fact, as I write this post, it's nothing more then a "WORD" document.

Timeline:
2:30 - accident happens
3:00 - ambulances leave
3:30 - CSI arrives
3:50 - utility crew arrives
4:15 - power is back on

No comments: