Friday, June 10, 2005

Working A Wedding

So working a wedding isn't really all that fun. The wedding itself is fun, kinda makes me want to have one, but that's a whole different story. :oP

My job at the wedding was to assist the photographer (yes, I know I am a photographer, but this guy is like... 6 years older then me, so he is SO much better then I am). I carried the equipment around, got the cameras ready for him, and so on. The thing I did like was when I got to actually shoot some stuff. I shot the actually wedding from the balconey. That was pretty cool. I also shot a couple of other things. Had the job been all that, I wouldn't have had a problem with. I know for sure that I wouldn't make a career out of wedding shoots, but it's definently something I could see doing on the side. I guess he gets paid around $2,500 per wedding. That is A LOT of money. That is just his fee, not supplies or equipment. I mean... holy crap! And that's low apparently. I guess some places charge over $5,000, easily. Kind of makes me want to be a wedding photographer, if for no other reason then the money.

The wedding itself was nice, but the place they had it in was friggin' hot. I don't think I've ever sweat this much. They kept turning the a/c down, but it didn't help. Plus my feet hurt from following the photographer around all night, not to mention my neck because of the equipment.

If there is one thing I did take away from the experience, it was that I do now know how to actually shoot a wedding, which opens up all kinds of possibilities. Assuming I can get the equipment, I could totally start doing weddings as a side gig next summer. I'm going to be doing several more weddings this summer, so that means more experience, and hopefully more shooting as well.

It felt good to be behind the camera again...

No comments: