Wednesday, March 08, 2006

So I Changed the Name of This Post

Every Wednesday, I feel less and less like this is where I'm suppose to be. I don't understand art. Every critique in this class becomes a discussion about the "content" of the work. Who cares? I'm looking at the work and deciding how I feel about THAT, not what the artist is trying to say. Arguments go on in this class and I just want to yell out "who the fuck cares?"

Why can't the work just be out the work, why does it have to some other meaning? The girl presenting right now is being torn apart because she is trying to saying that here work is formal, and the class doesn't seem to care. They want her to change her entire idea just to please them. I hate this.

Cheryl just said that she thinks the viewer isn't going to get it... I get it, why can't she? Why can't everyone else in this class? AHHH!!!

I get so angry in this class.

"That's why it's so confusing to us."

What? I really want to walk out right now. This is how it is every week and it's mainly with the photography majors... not the fine artists. I'm starting to think that Cheryl is not the best person to be teaching this class. More and more I am seeing the difference between photography and art. The "fine artists" in the class act as though they are so much smarter. Sometimes they act like they are talking down to the photographers; i.e. me. I get it, you don't have to act like I'm stupid, I just don't think you are right.

God, I'm pissed...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should speak up more in class ;-) there isn't a right or wrong, it's just a tiresome debate...and believe it or not, people are trying to help, and as a so-called "fine artist," i certainly don't think i'm any smarter and i hope i don't sound like i think i am!! -- at least half the time my opinion differs from everyone else too, and i clearly don't know what the hell to do with a camera...
my two cents on the subject: i'm of the opinion that you don't have to try to have content, but you should acknowledge that there is content whether you meant it or not, and it's worth it to see if it's content you want to have...but it's all pointless anyway...
the frustration continues....

liz